Tuesday, April 28, 2015

What I discovered at FutureSchools

In 2013 I went to EduTECH for the first time. I loved it.

I went with a specific project in mind. I wanted to delivery a blended learning option for my HSC students at St Mary's Maitland. I had already done my research and broadly knew what I was looking to find out. I spent two days investing myself in learning and walked away with direction, purpose and a number of ideas.

In 2014 I went to EduTECH for the second time. I enjoyed it.

I had flipped my classroom. I'd blended my learning. I was a master of online content creation. I went to presentations and thought 'I'm doing that'. I spoke to a few vendors, caught up with colleagues and came back with a few ideas, but no real desire to enact change.


In 2015 I thought I'd try FutureSchools for the first time. I was in a new role, with a much wider scope and far greater focus on technology in education.

And I loved it. I really did. But ...

There is something to be said for conference burnout. That apathetic feeling that you can get when you hear the same presenters tell you the same things that they have done each year. When you stare at presentation slides you've seen before.

It isn't just conferences and expos, but even professional development. I once attended a workshop for a large provider of PD, having enjoyed their previous offer. New presenter, apparently a new topic, but the same slides and - here's the kicker - the same bad jokes!

Here is what I am learning. Conferences, expos and large workshops serve a singular purpose - to raise awareness and present new ideas. When the ideas are no longer new or relevant, they become redundant and unnecessary. Similarly, if they don't match the frame of our own interests they can become useless ventures.

Next year I am going to have a purpose. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment